Federal Government Scholarship Schemes are policy measures and programmes designed to augment Formal Education for National, Economic and Scientific development of the country.
The Federal Government in its effort to improve Education in the country and the welfare of Nigerian Students in tertiary institutions nationwide has put in place a revitalised scholarship scheme. The revitalized award scheme is for both postgraduate and undergraduate students already in Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education, pursuing second year courses and HND I and above in these institutions. Through the improved and enlarged scheme, the suffering of Nigerian students will be ameliorated while students anti-social behaviour and unrest will be reduced.
Greater access to higher education by qualified students will be a sure way forward towards national development, technological advancement and rapid industrialisation and socio-economic development.
Federal Scholarship Board is presently a Unit of Federal Ministry of Education headed by a Director. It has no Governing Board as the nomenclature suggests. Administratively, the Board is divided into two (2) Divisions:
- Nigerian Award (NA) for awards tenable in Nigerian tertiary institutions and
- Overseas Award (OA) for studies in foreign universities mainly under the BEA programme, Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan awards and Monitoring.
Any candidate awarded “SCHOLARSHIP” by the Federal Government of Nigeria which is tenable in Nigeria is required to comply with the following rules: -
- To devote his/her time on full-time basis to the course of instruction for which the scholarship is awarded.
- Not to engage in any occupation or activity, which is considered detrimental to his/her progress in the course of studies.
- To conduct himself/herself as an honest and diligent student and to the best of his/her power and ability to serve, obey and perform such instructions and directions as shall be given from time to time.
- Dishonesty, fraud, malpractices and / or any other form of misconduct will attract termination of the award.
- To sit for and pass any prescribed examination or approved group of examinations within the time fixed by the authorities of the institution at which he/she is attending or by the awarding authority unless he/she is prevented from so doing by sickness proved by a certificate from a Medical Practitioner recognized and acceptable to the Federal Government of Nigeria or the institution.
- Change of institution/course of study will not be allowed.
- The scholarship may be suspended or terminated if he/she absents himself/herself from studies for more than six months owing to ill health.
- Scholars are not allowed to enjoy any other Government or Corporate organizations’ Scholarship concurrently with the Federal Government Scholarship.
- The award is NOT transferable.
- To reside in approved hostel or lodgings as may be appropriate.
- The scholarship may be suspended or terminated if the person awarded a scholarship fails to comply with any of the foregoing rules.
- Any error or mistakes made by the Board or discovered by the Board particularly as a result of misinformation or misdirection on the part of the scholar or misinterpretation on the part of the Board shall be resolved in favour of the Board. The discretion of the Board in such issues shall take precedence over scholar’s interest.
- No related posts
Published: January 9, 2012